Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Sooner Than We Thought


The arrest of Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich yesterday on Federal corruption charges brings us the first scandal of the Obama administration, albeit 42 days before it officially begins. Now after the election, I reassured my stepson that, liberals being liberals, Barack Obama will find a way to open the door right into his own nose. There would be a scandal, it would be big and splashy and embarrassing, it would happen sooner rather than later, and voila! here it is.


Naturally, President-elect Obama was "saddened" by the news of Blago's arrest but distanced himself from the governor's nefarious activities, since His Serene Loftiness is above such stuff. I couldn't help thinking, though, that I'd heard this before. Here we have the President-elect, a veteran of corrupt Illinois politics - a redundancy, I know - who endorsed Blagojevich for governor twice, who served as a top strategist for his first gubernatorial victory in 2002, who knew him well, repudiating his buddy while simultaneously casting their relationship as almost casual, like passing each other in the hallway occasionally: "I had no contact with the governor or his office and so we were not, I was not aware of what was happening." Really? Are you sure that you didn't talk to the governor about your replacement in the Senate? Senior Obama advisor David Axelrod sure thought so when he interviewed with Fox News Chicago on 23 November, when he said, "I know he's talked to the governor and there are a whole range of names many of which have surfaced, and I think he has a fondness for a lot of them." Hmm...seems a little, well, contradictory, doesn't it?
Remember former Sixties bomb thrower William Ayers? How did the Emperor of the Americas respond to questions regarding his thirteen-year relationship with an unrepentant terrorist? "This is a guy who lives in my neighborhood, who's a professor of English in Chicago, who I know and who I have not received some official endorsement from. He's not somebody who I exchange ideas from on a regular basis."


And Reverend Jeremiah Wright, who was Obama's pastor for twenty years, who officiated his marriage to Michelle and baptized his children, who brazenly declared, "We believe in white supremacy and black inferiority and believe it more than we believe in God"? "Not once in my conversations with him have I heard him talk about any ethnic group in derogatory terms, or treat whites with whom he interacted with anything but courtesy and respect."


And convicted real estate swindler Tony Rezko, who donated at least $60,000 to Obama's various political campaigns, who arranged a suspicious property purchase for Obama while Rezko was under Federal investigation (Obama paid $300,000 below the asking price), who's known Obama since 1990? How did His Lordship answer the press then? "I have probably had lunch with Rezko once or twice a year and our spouses may have gotten together on two to four occasions in the time that I have known him. I last spoke with Tony Rezko more than six months ago. "

In technical terms, this is what we call a trend. Throughout his political career, Barack Obama has willingly associated himself with crooked politicians, America haters, demagogues and criminals and then denied the associations for political expediency. For the 58,343,671 people who voted for John McCain, this is what you were trying to stop. For the 66,882,230 people who voted for Barack Obama, this is what you elected to the White House. And this is just the beginning.







No comments: